DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Order - The Weak Challenge
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 144, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/13/2010 03:27:47 PM · #1
I just got done voting for the Order challenge. I know I am probably going to get hate mail for my comments. If you didn't get one from me, then you actually did something right. Geez - so many shoehorned entries. Are people just really that lazy? If you can't shoot an image FOR the challenge don't enter one!!! It was like most people thought well, it has a pattern or it is in a row of some sort -- so that works. No! It doesn't work! The challenge was not pattern or lines or rows - it was "order."

It seems like every challenge I vote on now there are some that just throw in the old "standards" - colored water in glasses (blah), flowers for any and every theme (ek), landscapes for the sake of throwing a shot into a challenge (boring).

Let's start thinking outside the box people! The submissions this week for this challenge are the worst I have ever voted for on this site and I have been a member for a while. This was just pathetic.
07/13/2010 03:39:34 PM · #2
I agree on the overuse of wineglasses and flowers. However, I cannot give a low vote to a well done shot, even if it is an overdone subject. Good is good. Originality does get extra pointage from me, though. (BTW, it looks like you have a 6+ with a wine glass...)

Another thing to consider on what may or may not meet the topic, is that others perception of "order" and "chaos" may differ from your own, and there is often a fuzzy line between a shoehorn and a creative take on the subject.

Oh, and I think we can get you a refill on that prescription for happy pills.
07/13/2010 03:39:52 PM · #3
' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' ThatChickOverThere, what is your interpretation of "order". Just curious.
07/13/2010 03:43:10 PM · #4
I think order was the harder one to enter a shot for, in comparison to chaos.

>> It was like most people thought well, it has a pattern or it is in a row of some sort -- so that works.
I think you're debating the difference between order and orderly, are you?

>> This was just pathetic
Ouch!
07/13/2010 03:45:44 PM · #5
I really don't think that this challenge was cut and dry at all. There is a lot of room for interpretation and to be honest that's why I am not voting. I don't feel that I can really make an unbiased opinion on how the shots fit the challenge. I'd have to say that none of the entries, my own included, scream "Order" to me. (Of course that's my opinion).

Message edited by author 2010-07-13 15:46:04.
07/13/2010 03:53:43 PM · #6
Well, I just got a comment telling me my entry is a shoehorn and it gets a score of 1. It's a baghead, but I guess that is you? I just want to tell you, I'm not lazy. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, I went there specifically to do it, there's a reason why it's the way it is, and I didn't expect a good score anyway :-)

I'm just a little perturbed about this thread, is all, where you're basically telling everyone who doesn't meet your criteria for what "order" represents that they are "lazy" and, I guess, "uncreative". I'll freely admit to being uncreative, but I wasn't aware that creativity was a condition of continued participation on this site :-)

R.
07/13/2010 04:05:23 PM · #7
As far as things in a line or row:

We have been taught from childhood on to: "line up in order!"

so of course, lines, patterns and rows will scream order to us.

(btw, I'm in chaos, so I'm not defending my own photo.)
07/13/2010 04:07:29 PM · #8
btw, when I considered entering that challenge, I was thinking of lines and rows. I think they're hard to photograph well and interestingly, so it intrigued me. However, the challenge description stated: Take a photo showing everything in its correct place. And that didn't fit with what I was thinking.

So there's a good possibility that people were shooting for the description, not the title.
07/13/2010 04:07:43 PM · #9
Regarding Yo-Spiff's comment of:

"Oh, and I think we can get you a refill on that prescription for happy pills."

Wow really - - because if I have an opinion that must mean I'm just a bitch right. Go **** yourself. I have happy pills. They don't make me quite happy enough to deal with morons I guess.

Message edited by Manic - edited for language.
07/13/2010 04:08:17 PM · #10
I didn't enter this challenge, but I have to say that I too am put off by this thread.

I think it was in 1st grade, when a teacher told me that I had to color the picture the right way in order to get a good grade. I remember being upset and crying as I told my mom. She explained something to me that has stuck with me all these years - Art is open to interpretation, there is no right or wrong way to express yourself (unless you're harming helpless bunnies).

Many of the challenges on DPC are open to some interpretation - if the description of the challenge is not detailed (as Order) in what is expected, then we will see a wide and beautiful selection of photographs to judge.

07/13/2010 04:10:50 PM · #11


Originally posted by sonniejake:

I didn't enter this challenge, but I have to say that I too am put off by this thread.

I think it was in 1st grade, when a teacher told me that I had to color the picture the right way in order to get a good grade. I remember being upset and crying as I told my mom. She explained something to me that has stuck with me all these years - Art is open to interpretation, there is no right or wrong way to express yourself (unless you're harming helpless bunnies).

Many of the challenges on DPC are open to some interpretation - if the description of the challenge is not detailed (as Order) in what is expected, then we will see a wide and beautiful selection of photographs to judge.


Yeah - but the problem was that the photos (photographic quality-wise) were really crappy too. It wasn't just the shoehorning - - it was an overall lack of talent, creativity and execution. My photos aren't the best (in fact, there not even that good) -- but my interpretation of art is keen....and the majority of those just sucked.
07/13/2010 04:13:11 PM · #12
Originally posted by vawendy:

btw, when I considered entering that challenge, I was thinking of lines and rows. I think they're hard to photograph well and interestingly, so it intrigued me. However, the challenge description stated: Take a photo showing everything in its correct place. And that didn't fit with what I was thinking.

So there's a good possibility that people were shooting for the description, not the title.


Exactly - - which is why people are idiots - - read the description of the challenge!!! I agree to some interpretation.....but not just throwing some photo in of a flower when it OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do with the subject matter.
07/13/2010 04:16:29 PM · #13
Originally posted by JokersSoul:

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' ThatChickOverThere, what is your interpretation of "order". Just curious.


Well I know what it definitely is not....Order is not a row of the same object. Those things are not in "order" because if they are the same it is impossible for there to be an "order" But, if things are different, in a row, and there is a discernable "order" then I didn't consider it a shoehorn. But if it is boats or graves or buttons or candies that are each identical there is no right "order" - so you are essentially entering a picture of a pattern or of a line.
07/13/2010 04:16:33 PM · #14
The chaos/order suggestion (along with descriptions, except that I'd said "everything it its right place") was mine, so you can blame it all on me.

Message edited by author 2010-07-13 16:16:41.
07/13/2010 04:16:50 PM · #15
Originally posted by ThatChickOverThere:

Regarding Yo-Spiff's comment of:

"Oh, and I think we can get you a refill on that prescription for happy pills."

Wow really - - because if I have an opinion that must mean I'm just a bitch right. Go **** yourself. I have happy pills. They don't make me quite happy enough to deal with morons I guess.


I was trying to be humorous and add a little levity to my response, but I guess it didn't come off that way. I'll go find another thread to play in.

Message edited by Manic - edited for language.
07/13/2010 04:17:22 PM · #16
Gee...thankyou so very much for your one vote and your yelling status in your comment on my image...your presence in viewing my image has made me swoon with excitement that I could have someone of your calibre enlighten me as to how to become a good photographer....wow...I am so pleased I joined this site. Thankyou so much.
07/13/2010 04:19:27 PM · #17
Originally posted by ThatChickOverThere:

Originally posted by JokersSoul:

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' ThatChickOverThere, what is your interpretation of "order". Just curious.


Well I know what it definitely is not....Order is not a row of the same object. Those things are not in "order" because if they are the same it is impossible for there to be an "order" But, if things are different, in a row, and there is a discernable "order" then I didn't consider it a shoehorn. But if it is boats or graves or buttons or candies that are each identical there is no right "order" - so you are essentially entering a picture of a pattern or of a line.


This is the most anal, narrow-minded, bigoted piece of challenge interpretation I have heard in a long time. A row of identical, moored sailboats, for example, is not an example of "order" because they are the same? A necessary component of order is "difference"? That's insane...

R.

Message edited by author 2010-07-13 16:20:06.
07/13/2010 04:20:33 PM · #18
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

This is the most anal, narrow-minded, bigoted piece of challenge interpretation I have heard in a long time. A row of identical, moored sailboats, for example, is not an example of "order" because they are the same? A necessary component of order is "difference"? That's insane...

R.


The row of boats only works if you alphabetize them first.
07/13/2010 04:20:53 PM · #19
Originally posted by ThatChickOverThere:

the majority of those just sucked.

The open challenges tend to have a higher proportion of beginners than the member challenges do. Combine that with more restrictive basic editing rules and I expect to see more of the mediocre shots in them. Ya' gotta start somewhere.
07/13/2010 04:22:23 PM · #20
Originally posted by Judi:

Gee...thankyou so very much for your one vote and your yelling status in your comment on my image...your presence in viewing my image has made me swoon with excitement that I could have someone of your calibre enlighten me as to how to become a good photographer....wow...I am so pleased I joined this site. Thankyou so much.


No no - thank you for entering the challenge so that I could give you my expert opinion. Because, obviously, if I don't like even one of YOUR precious photographs, Judi, then I must be a complete hack. I was DEFINITELY saying that you overall as a person and photographer must suck all the time because of the one image I didn't like of YOURS. Get your head out of your ***. If you think that because I didn't like one photo, that I don't like the rest of your work or I am not up to the standard to opine on your work, then you really are a photo snob. I love your work Judi - - and I obviously didn't like this photo you did. Considering I didn't know it was your photo I can't believe you would be so personally offended. Get over yourself. I make one comment about a challenge and everyone is going ****ing crazy. This is nothing but hilarious on my end. I love too how all the "popular kids" like bear music, and vawendy and judi and yo-spiff are the ones the most pissed off. It is just like high school.

Message edited by Manic - edited for language.
07/13/2010 04:23:52 PM · #21
Originally posted by mycelium:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

This is the most anal, narrow-minded, bigoted piece of challenge interpretation I have heard in a long time. A row of identical, moored sailboats, for example, is not an example of "order" because they are the same? A necessary component of order is "difference"? That's insane...

R.


The row of boats only works if you alphabetize them first.


Or if they are in color-order of the rainbow.
07/13/2010 04:24:59 PM · #22
Hmm. I do think the chaos comp was stronger. But that's because it's easier to shoot chaos.

BUT, I don't think you can really put great purchase on your arguments on this subject and still evade the question as to what is order.
Please answer that.


07/13/2010 04:26:27 PM · #23
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by ThatChickOverThere:

Originally posted by JokersSoul:

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' ThatChickOverThere, what is your interpretation of "order". Just curious.


Well I know what it definitely is not....Order is not a row of the same object. Those things are not in "order" because if they are the same it is impossible for there to be an "order" But, if things are different, in a row, and there is a discernable "order" then I didn't consider it a shoehorn. But if it is boats or graves or buttons or candies that are each identical there is no right "order" - so you are essentially entering a picture of a pattern or of a line.


This is the most anal, narrow-minded, bigoted piece of challenge interpretation I have heard in a long time. A row of identical, moored sailboats, for example, is not an example of "order" because they are the same? A necessary component of order is "difference"? That's insane...

R.


Okay - now I'm a bigot???? TRUELY YOU CAN GO AND **** YOURSELF. Perhaps you would know what an ACTUAL BIGOT was if you weren't constantly blogging on this site about your opinions. If someone is offended by the swearing I could care less. A ****ING BIGOT? WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Message edited by Manic - edited for language.
07/13/2010 04:26:34 PM · #24
I wasn't pissed off and I very rarely take offense at critical comments. The only time I have ever taken offense at a critique was when someone suggested that my entry "clearly had no effort behind it".

Oh, and I am not entered in either chaos or order, if that matters at all.

Sheesh.

Message edited by author 2010-07-13 16:28:08.
07/13/2010 04:27:29 PM · #25
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

Hmm. I do think the chaos comp was stronger. But that's because it's easier to shoot chaos.

BUT, I don't think you can really put great purchase on your arguments on this subject and still evade the question as to what is order.
Please answer that.


already did that below - if something has a "right" place - then it should be different or have some actualy signficant change that would make whatever it is have an "order" otherwise it is just shit in a line.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/19/2019 04:16:09 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/19/2019 04:16:09 AM EDT.