DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Anyone notice the Free Study winner......
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 220, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/08/2010 08:50:02 PM · #51
Originally posted by bassbone:

Originally posted by smardaz:

Originally posted by bassbone:


Three are a number of people that don't check in all the time.


which three? i check in ALL the time!


We who prowl the threads and click the update button don't fit into that calculation....it is those that have not become hooked that may not understand yet that all revolves around DPC....


sorry, i was just being a Smardaz....enjoyed your typo
07/08/2010 08:54:02 PM · #52
The photo may or may not be DQ'ed. I'll be happy to leave that to the SC. I think it is an excellent image. That being said, I do not see it as being rude, or making someone unwelcome, to raise a question about the rules if you think you see a violation.

Either the rules apply equally to all of us, or they should not be applied to any of us. I do not believe in a pass just because someone is new. (full disclosure: my first entry was DQ'ed, so I may have a bias. But I lived through it, and if he gets a DQ, so will he.)
07/08/2010 09:36:16 PM · #53
Originally posted by ambaker:

The photo may or may not be DQ'ed. I'll be happy to leave that to the SC. I think it is an excellent image. That being said, I do not see it as being rude, or making someone unwelcome, to raise a question about the rules if you think you see a violation.

However, as has been pointed out previously, site guidelines call for you to report any suspected rules violation (either forum or editing rules) to the SC, and to not discuss or speculate on the matter among yourselves in the public forums.
07/08/2010 09:38:53 PM · #54
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by ambaker:

The photo may or may not be DQ'ed. I'll be happy to leave that to the SC. I think it is an excellent image. That being said, I do not see it as being rude, or making someone unwelcome, to raise a question about the rules if you think you see a violation.

However, as has been pointed out previously, site guidelines call for you to report any suspected rules violation (either forum or editing rules) to the SC, and to not discuss or speculate on the matter among yourselves in the public forums.


Good point, occasionally we need reminding...
07/08/2010 09:58:20 PM · #55
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by ambaker:

The photo may or may not be DQ'ed. I'll be happy to leave that to the SC. I think it is an excellent image. That being said, I do not see it as being rude, or making someone unwelcome, to raise a question about the rules if you think you see a violation.

However, as has been pointed out previously, site guidelines call for you to report any suspected rules violation (either forum or editing rules) to the SC, and to not discuss or speculate on the matter among yourselves in the public forums.


' . substr('//spfan.ru/pic/characters/pic/115/2.gif', strrpos('//spfan.ru/pic/characters/pic/115/2.gif', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2010-07-08 21:59:29.
07/08/2010 10:51:32 PM · #56
Wow.....

I started this thread to call out and make note of how impressed I was with a lovely image. I also wanted to make mention that this was the very first challenge he's entered, and not only did he win it, but it was a Free Study, done with a portrait, which historically, is nothing short of amazing.

Now he's pretty much being ripped apart on various levels, not the least of which is his not taking part in the general prediction that he probably did something illegal and will be DQed. And now someone is pissed off because he doesn't want to engage with anyone.

Well, guess what? He's been here over a year and may very well have seen how these kind of things happen and maybe he just doesn't want to be part of y'all's witch hunt.

I'd like to offer my apologies, Andy, for so stupidly trying to tell you what a terrific image that is, what a stellar job you did on it, and congratulate you on the win.

How foolish of me to do that, and my apologies for offering you up to the angry mob. I wish I could retract the thread.
07/08/2010 11:00:07 PM · #57
Did you ever fix your USB drive issue?

Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Wow.....

I started this thread to call out and make note of how impressed I was with a lovely image. I also wanted to make mention that this was the very first challenge he's entered, and not only did he win it, but it was a Free Study, done with a portrait, which historically, is nothing short of amazing.

Now he's pretty much being ripped apart on various levels, not the least of which is his not taking part in the general prediction that he probably did something illegal and will be DQed. And now someone is pissed off because he doesn't want to engage with anyone.

Well, guess what? He's been here over a year and may very well have seen how these kind of things happen and maybe he just doesn't want to be part of y'all's witch hunt.

I'd like to offer my apologies, Andy, for so stupidly trying to tell you what a terrific image that is, what a stellar job you did on it, and congratulate you on the win.

How foolish of me to do that, and my apologies for offering you up to the angry mob. I wish I could retract the thread.
07/09/2010 04:57:34 AM · #58
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Wow.....

I too was surprised at the pack of wolves that seemed to pounce here.
07/09/2010 06:14:52 AM · #59
As a few others have stated, I am none too pleased with the tone of many of the feelings I get from this thread. I think the shot is gorgeous. Bringing in new photographers to deliver work of this quality to DPC is a very welcomed thing to me. I hope Andy sticks around and knocks more of his work out of the park.
07/09/2010 09:11:38 AM · #60
ELECT SLIPPEH AS PRIME DICTATOR!
HE WILL BANISH ALL N00BS AND GIVE OUT FREE ICE CREAM ON FRIDAYS!

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/35000-39999/120/35357.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/35000-39999/120/35357.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
07/09/2010 09:15:13 AM · #61
I think its pretty sad that some people think its rude that a new member is not checking his comments as useful. Going as far as calling it "exceedingly rude" is a joke.

07/09/2010 09:23:59 AM · #62
Wow... Where's Art with his burning village? That's about what it's boiled down to.

However, the whole issue with a textures overlay, while I found exceedingly annoying at first, I find fascinating now. I've seen texture overlays, but usually they're obvious and artistic effects. If this truly was an overlay, it has taught me a lot about what textures can do for you. (even if it's not, it's still a very intriguing idea.)

It's too bad this discussion turned venomous, because it could have been quite interesting and informative. Instead it's embarrassing. Discussion is one thing. Negative and nasty are just not necessary.
07/09/2010 10:25:25 AM · #63
and people wonder why membership and participation is down. People are afraid to get their head bit off.
07/09/2010 10:34:12 AM · #64
[quote=scarbrd] as the 4th place finisher, I am admittedly torn on the issue. ;-) [/quote

lol, I wouldn't be.
07/09/2010 10:35:31 AM · #65
Originally posted by JustCaree:

and people wonder why membership and participation is down. People are afraid to get their head bit off.


I bite back :)
07/09/2010 10:37:19 AM · #66
Oh please. Irrespective of whether or not it's against the "rules" to publicly discuss an image not passing validation, it's hardly a "pack of wolves", being "ripped apart", an "angry mob" or whatever other hyperbole, to simply make note of an obvious (to me) anomaly of processing that indicates a probable disqualification. The first point made in this thread about it was matter of fact and pretty simple, and someone asked me to explain how I came to the conclusion, and I answered -- and he wanted to know because he thought it would help him with his photography. Go figure.

The amount of whining about hurt feelings here is only matched by the level of sycophancy.
07/09/2010 10:40:19 AM · #67
Originally posted by Louis:

Oh please. Irrespective of whether or not it's against the "rules" to publicly discuss an image not passing validation, it's hardly a "pack of wolves", being "ripped apart", an "angry mob" or whatever other hyperbole, to simply make note of an obvious (to me) anomaly of processing that indicates a probable disqualification. The first point made in this thread about it was matter of fact and pretty simple, and someone asked me to explain how I came to the conclusion, and I answered -- and he wanted to know because he thought it would help him with his photography. Go figure.

The amount of whining about hurt feelings here is only matched by the level of sycophancy.


There were a number of people who were straight forward in the discussion -- that's fine, and interesting. There were a number of whiners who were complaining -- that was obnoxious.

07/09/2010 10:40:30 AM · #68
Originally posted by JustCaree:

and people wonder why membership and participation is down. People are afraid to get their head bit off.

Yeah, well I see it in the reverse. People are afraid to give honest opinions about genuine questions of challenge entries, style, quality of work, both in the forums and in comments for fear of hurting somebody's feelings, or -- worse -- having the masses cry foul and run at them in an angry mob, as evidenced here.
07/09/2010 10:43:02 AM · #69
While i had to look up "sycophancy" ... i tend to agree with this. The only reason this thread seems to have a negative tone is because a couple people keep saying "I can't believe the negative tone".

Originally posted by Louis:

Oh please. Irrespective of whether or not it's against the "rules" to publicly discuss an image not passing validation, it's hardly a "pack of wolves", being "ripped apart", an "angry mob" or whatever other hyperbole, to simply make note of an obvious (to me) anomaly of processing that indicates a probable disqualification. The first point made in this thread about it was matter of fact and pretty simple, and someone asked me to explain how I came to the conclusion, and I answered -- and he wanted to know because he thought it would help him with his photography. Go figure.

The amount of whining about hurt feelings here is only matched by the level of sycophancy.
07/09/2010 10:46:50 AM · #70
No... if you read back, once people started agreeing that perhaps there was a texture, it started going downhill. And annoyed that comments aren't marked as helpful? Give me a break.

However, I repeat -- I found Louis observations to be fascinating. It does appear that two different shots, yet same pose, has the textures going in opposite directions. Something I would have never picked up on or known was a possibility. The meat of this thread is intriguing.

Message edited by author 2010-07-09 10:47:03.
07/09/2010 10:50:14 AM · #71
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by JustCaree:

and people wonder why membership and participation is down. People are afraid to get their head bit off.

Yeah, well I see it in the reverse. People are afraid to give honest opinions about genuine questions of challenge entries, style, quality of work, both in the forums and in comments for fear of hurting somebody's feelings, or -- worse -- having the masses cry foul and run at them in an angry mob, as evidenced here.

Elect Slippeh Prime Dictator, and he will mandate a Holier-Than-Thou, Politically-Correct, Mob-Mentality parade every Sunday.
07/09/2010 10:53:41 AM · #72
What about the ice cream?
07/09/2010 10:54:54 AM · #73
Originally posted by Strikeslip:


Elect Slippeh Prime Dictator, and he will mandate a Holier-Than-Thou, Politically-Correct, Mob-Mentality parade every Sunday.


i thought there was already one of those every sunday night round rollover
07/09/2010 10:57:59 AM · #74
Originally posted by Digipixer:

What about the ice cream?

That's on Fridays. Pay attention or you'll be banished.
07/09/2010 11:02:32 AM · #75
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by Digipixer:

What about the ice cream?

That's on Fridays. Pay attention or you'll be banished.

wrong thread

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/23/2021 12:26:51 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/23/2021 12:26:51 AM EST.