DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

Threads will be shown in descending order for the remainder of this session. To permanently display posts in this order, adjust your preferences.
DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Apparently Hawaii's facing armageddon this week
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 31, descending (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/15/2007 12:40:10 PM · #1
I never said I didn't walk amoung you.

haha

Originally posted by chip_k:

Originally posted by Bugzeye:

The ones who hang around DPC all day are the real crazy people....


How about people that go to football games when it's cold enough to freeze your breath outside? THAT'S crazy!

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/50578.jpg', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/50578.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

08/14/2007 09:54:18 PM · #2
Originally posted by ClubJuggle:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

I'll stick with my stable craton, thankyouverymuch.


A stable craton for an unstable cretin... makes perfect sense to me!

~Terry (Oh quit it... you know I'm kidding!)

You're such a punny guy! ;-D
08/14/2007 04:44:33 PM · #3
haha

"Go figure, David was at my house to... the chemistry between us just makes the house rock. Literally." -friend of mine after quake

08/14/2007 04:39:09 PM · #4
We once had an earthquake in our bedroom, yeah the bed was shaking too.
08/14/2007 04:34:52 PM · #5
Originally posted by BeeCee:

Originally posted by annah:


...enough spunk to lift roof shingles. But still, last night was one to remember, haha.


Ummm.... TMI??? ;)


(Psst! The earth moved under her feet... But that's not as interesting as your inference so we can just stick with your version. Okay?)
08/14/2007 03:47:33 PM · #6
Originally posted by annah:


...enough spunk to lift roof shingles. But still, last night was one to remember, haha.


Ummm.... TMI??? ;)
08/14/2007 03:43:12 PM · #7
Originally posted by annah:

Originally posted by justamistere:

I would love to com and visit you. Just not at this moment, I don't have enough vacation time. Yes, take lots of pictures, and from a safe distance. I don't recommend staying in your "Grass hut" as stated in your profile.

Are a lot of people going to mainland? is there air service available at this time?

Anyways we all know that tsunamis can cool down lova flows very quickly. They might just counteract each other.


Things are looking good. No tsunami warnings (apparently the quake wasn't strong enough) and the lava rumor was a bust. We're still awaiting this supposed hurricane of doom. I remain skeptical. I think it's been downgraded again. These things hardly ever actually make it to the island with enough spunk to lift roof shingles. But still, last night was one to remember, haha.


Hawaii is small enough that they could probably raise a glass bubble of some sort to protect the island from those pesky winds. Save the cute little lizards!
08/14/2007 03:34:27 PM · #8
Originally posted by annah:

These things hardly ever actually make it to the island with enough spunk to lift roof shingles.


That's what they thought in New Orleans!

::: Jaws suspense music starts in the background :::
08/14/2007 03:30:54 PM · #9
Originally posted by justamistere:

I would love to com and visit you. Just not at this moment, I don't have enough vacation time. Yes, take lots of pictures, and from a safe distance. I don't recommend staying in your "Grass hut" as stated in your profile.

Are a lot of people going to mainland? is there air service available at this time?

Anyways we all know that tsunamis can cool down lova flows very quickly. They might just counteract each other.


Things are looking good. No tsunami warnings (apparently the quake wasn't strong enough) and the lava rumor was a bust. We're still awaiting this supposed hurricane of doom. I remain skeptical. I think it's been downgraded again. These things hardly ever actually make it to the island with enough spunk to lift roof shingles. But still, last night was one to remember, haha.
08/14/2007 03:11:15 PM · #10
I'm on my way out there this Saturday... I hope all the islands weather the storms and shakes... especially Oahu and Kauai.
08/14/2007 02:54:20 PM · #11
I would love to com and visit you. Just not at this moment, I don't have enough vacation time. Yes, take lots of pictures, and from a safe distance. I don't recommend staying in your "Grass hut" as stated in your profile.

Are a lot of people going to mainland? is there air service available at this time?

Anyways we all know that tsunamis can cool down lova flows very quickly. They might just counteract each other.

Message edited by author 2007-08-14 14:57:08.
08/14/2007 01:19:23 PM · #12
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

I'll stick with my stable craton, thankyouverymuch.


A stable craton for an unstable cretin... makes perfect sense to me!

~Terry (Oh quit it... you know I'm kidding!)
08/14/2007 12:26:59 PM · #13
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

The ones who hang around DPC all day are the real crazy people....


How about people that go to football games when it's cold enough to freeze your breath outside? THAT'S crazy!

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/50578.jpg', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images_profile/50578.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/14/2007 12:26:18 PM · #14
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

The ones who hang around DPC all day are the real crazy people....


But this is our "safe place"!
There are occasional village burnings but the violent eruptions are rare.
Sometimes you hear stomping but hardly any earth shaking events.
There are the occasional snow jobs and icy stares but nothing that would add up to a blizzard.
One may be inundated with comments but I've never seen a flood of them that didn't subside rather quickly.
Besides...the padding on the walls is pleasant and you gotta love the costumes the wardens wear...
;)
08/14/2007 12:19:53 PM · #15
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

The ones who hang around DPC all day are the real crazy people....

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? ;)
08/14/2007 12:16:23 PM · #16
The ones who hang around DPC all day are the real crazy people....
08/14/2007 11:34:46 AM · #17
Well first off, stay safe. Second, what ever you do, TAKE lots of pics!


08/14/2007 11:20:26 AM · #18
Originally posted by glad2badad:

... find a good place to hole-up when this weather hits your area!

Yes, an elevation high enough to avoid the tidal waves, but low enough to avoid the lava.... (and on a gentle enough slope to avoid landslides triggered by earthquakes.) ;-)

Message edited by author 2007-08-14 11:21:51.
08/14/2007 11:18:34 AM · #19
Originally posted by chip_k:

People who live below sea-level on the Gulf Coast are the craziest. (New Orleans)

The ones that hire the government to provide shelter and fix the floodwalls/pumps, etc... are the crazy ones. Oh...perhaps a bit off topic. :P

Seriously, be careful Annah and find a good place to hole-up when this weather hits your area!
08/14/2007 11:07:23 AM · #20
People who live below sea-level on the Gulf Coast are the craziest. (New Orleans)

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

I don't know who's crazier:

1. People who live on a hotspot (Hawaii)
2. People who live on a mid-oceanic ridge (Iceland)
3. People who live on a volcanic arc (Japan especially)
4. People who live along transition zones

I'll stick with my stable craton, thankyouverymuch.
08/14/2007 10:57:36 AM · #21
I don't know who's crazier:

1. People who live on a hotspot (Hawaii)
2. People who live on a mid-oceanic ridge (Iceland)
3. People who live on a volcanic arc (Japan especially)
4. People who live along transition zones
5. People who live on flood planes (thanks ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' chip_k, below)

I'll stick with my stable craton, thankyouverymuch.

Message edited by author 2007-08-14 11:29:58.
08/14/2007 10:37:05 AM · #22
Originally posted by aliqui:

Originally posted by KaDi:

Originally posted by aliqui:

"The last recorded hurricane to hit the island of Hawaii was the Kohala Cyclone in 1871."

That factoid from the article is shocking. 1871!


However, this CNN article says Hawaii (the state) was last hit by hurricane Iniki in 1992.


That's not nearly as impressive. Let's stick with mine.


OMG... that is perfect. Love it!

' . substr('//www.christinehudnall.com/smilies/laugh_cry.gif', strrpos('//www.christinehudnall.com/smilies/laugh_cry.gif', '/') + 1) . '
08/14/2007 10:14:49 AM · #23
Originally posted by KaDi:

Originally posted by karmat:

Originally posted by aliqui:

That's not nearly as impressive. Let's stick with mine.


New approach for arguing on dpc. I think I'll try this line in the rant forum sometime.


' . substr('//img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif', strrpos('//img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif', '/') + 1) . '


' . substr('//www.hawkins.nu/gtchat/images/rofl.gif', strrpos('//www.hawkins.nu/gtchat/images/rofl.gif', '/') + 1) . '
08/14/2007 10:09:45 AM · #24
Originally posted by karmat:

Originally posted by aliqui:

That's not nearly as impressive. Let's stick with mine.


New approach for arguing on dpc. I think I'll try this line in the rant forum sometime.


' . substr('//img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif', strrpos('//img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif', '/') + 1) . '
08/14/2007 10:02:15 AM · #25
Originally posted by aliqui:



That's not nearly as impressive. Let's stick with mine.


New approach for arguing on dpc. I think I'll try this line in the rant forum sometime.

(Thanks for the laugh, btw, I needed that!)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/05/2023 05:27:02 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2023 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 02/05/2023 05:27:02 AM EST.