DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Business of Photography >> An Unhappy Model Critiques the "Professional".
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 128, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/29/2007 06:10:29 PM · #51
Originally posted by rox_rox:


A "troll" is someone who cruises forums looking to shake things up. This guy posted in his blog and it got picked up by a reddit user. I don't understand how this could be considered trolling?


Yeah, it's not a fake, but the fact that I am the reddit user that picked it up doesn't really help my case... :)
12/29/2007 06:21:13 PM · #52
Originally posted by superdave:

Well the article is fake, I think its pretty obvious! Just look at the language used and how its written. The guy has no clue how to take a picture then all the sudden he reads a few books and he wants to tell the reader what makes a good photo.


LOL. I was just reading back in his blog. If this article is fake, he's been planning it since since 7-11-05 when he made this post:

"7-11-05
1:12AM Ha! I finally updated! Well, here's the deal: I'm at work, and I'm really bored. They can't seem to keep me busy, so I spend about 5 hours a day browsing the internet. I was looking around when I found this really cool site called antiyawn.com and I thought, "Gee Whiz! I wish I had a site like that." Then I realized that I do. So, I brought my files and stuff to work, and I found a way to upload stuff through the firewall and now here I am updating. Other news: My good friend Angus just threw his site up a few days ago: ageeksotospeak.com. You must visit this site for two reasons: 1. Matt's cool and his site should be too. 2. I thought of the name!!! Also, I'm about to buy a decent camera for cheap. I should be able to bring it with me everywhere, and I'm going to be able to do more updates with pretty pictures! Here's a link (I'm getting it in blue)."

Here's the link to that "decent" camera. I think I'll get me one of those and turn pro;)

I suppose this whole blog could be part of some elaborate hoax, but I really don't see the point.
12/29/2007 06:21:28 PM · #53
I think folks are just jealous that they can't learn, or put into use what they've learned, that quickly. I know I am! ;)

(btw, your nick reminds me of a local boy who had a tussle with Microsoft; Mike Rowe)
12/29/2007 06:22:16 PM · #54
Originally posted by mikerosoftin2001:

Originally posted by rox_rox:


A "troll" is someone who cruises forums looking to shake things up. This guy posted in his blog and it got picked up by a reddit user. I don't understand how this could be considered trolling?


Yeah, it's not a fake, but the fact that I am the reddit user that picked it up doesn't really help my case... :)


LOL, I didn't catch that. Hmmm...so you're not a troll, just a blogspammer?
12/29/2007 06:32:56 PM · #55
One wonders what could possibly be gained by "faking" this story. I find it interesting how people find conspiracies in the strangest, most benign places.
12/29/2007 06:36:31 PM · #56
Originally posted by Louis:

One wonders what could possibly be gained by "faking" this story. I find it interesting how people find conspiracies in the strangest, most benign places.

I think you are conspiring the steal my thoughts... Where's my tinfoil hat?
12/29/2007 06:38:40 PM · #57
Originally posted by _eug:

Originally posted by Louis:

One wonders what could possibly be gained by "faking" this story. I find it interesting how people find conspiracies in the strangest, most benign places.

I think you are conspiring the steal my thoughts... Where's my tinfoil hat?

Looks like you're already wearing it --> 21.gif
12/29/2007 06:40:27 PM · #58
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by _eug:

Originally posted by Louis:

One wonders what could possibly be gained by "faking" this story. I find it interesting how people find conspiracies in the strangest, most benign places.

I think you are conspiring the steal my thoughts... Where's my tinfoil hat?

Looks like you're already wearing it --> 21.gif

Ah! Good. Now I need a backup. Just in case. ;)
12/29/2007 07:00:34 PM · #59
Originally posted by rox_rox:


Here's the link to that "decent" camera. I think I'll get me one of those and turn pro;)

I suppose this whole blog could be part of some elaborate hoax, but I really don't see the point.


Oh wow, I totally forgot about that camera. As crappy as it is, you could get surprisingly decent pictures out of it considering its price. I took it with me to Canada and it survived two weeks in the wilderness (if it broke, I wouldn't have been too upset). No good for art, but definitely good for cataloguing a trip.
12/29/2007 07:19:23 PM · #60
DPC always makes me laugh. Especially how upset people get, even to the point of name calling. You would think this poor young man was personally attacking some DPC members.

I think the article was well written, which is very refreshing in an age when most college freshman can't even put two sentences together in a coherent way. And yes, it is possible to learn all the lingo from reading some books.

I am glad that Mike has joined DPC and I hope that he is able to look past some of the comments in this thread and see that there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Mike, I have put you on as one of my favorites, I look forward to seeing you post some of your photos here and join some challenges. There's a lot to learn from this site. Welcome aboard!!
12/29/2007 09:57:03 PM · #61
LOL! If you guys want to believe everything you read, that's fine. Why would he make it up? I've been on line since 1983 and I've seen a lot of people make things up for a varity of reasons. To get attention, to seem like something they aren't, to get sympathy, to scam, to take advantage, to attract the opposite (and much younger) sex (or the same sex)... the list goes on. And there are people out there that are really really good at it too. And some can do it for years.

And yes, it's possible to pick up a "couple of books" and learn. I've got shelfs full of books I've bought over the years. But to pick up a "couple of books" and start talking about as many different areas of photography as he did in the manner he did... well, you can believe if you want. I don't. At least not all of it. It would be interesting to hear his mom's side of it and the photographer's side of it. There's always more than one side to any story and there looks like at least 3 sides to this one.

As I said, it's my opinion. I didn't call him names or get upset. I just said I didn't believe it.

Mike

Message edited by author 2007-12-29 21:58:07.
12/29/2007 11:34:37 PM · #62
Originally posted by MikeJ:

I've been on line since 1983 and I've seen a lot of people make things up for a varity of reasons.


LOL. Even back then? :P

Message edited by author 2007-12-29 23:34:49.
12/30/2007 12:38:26 AM · #63
The lighting is flat and maybe they went overboard with the skin softening, but personally I don't think the comp. is that bad. Why didn't you go back to the photographer and ask them to fix some of the stuff you were unhappy with? Or did you? I don't think it's as horrible as you portray, but that is just my opinion.

I also find it strange that your mother thinks the shot is "great" with your green eye's being blue....
12/30/2007 01:15:00 AM · #64
Originally posted by Prof_Fate:


$700 is NOT ridiculous. It's on the low end of average for most full time senior photogs using projection, depending on the market. I know photogs geting FOUR TIMES that on average and doing 300 seniors a year! And yes, they work the images every bit that much, or more.

Whiny kid...


man....(700x4)x300= $840,000
thats some serious money. I just got my senior portraits done and they were great for around $800 and that includes shots of my brother and sister and me individuals and together.
12/30/2007 01:29:47 AM · #65
Originally posted by chriswithredhair:

Originally posted by Prof_Fate:


$700 is NOT ridiculous. It's on the low end of average for most full time senior photogs using projection, depending on the market. I know photogs geting FOUR TIMES that on average and doing 300 seniors a year! And yes, they work the images every bit that much, or more.

Whiny kid...


man....(700x4)x300= $840,000
thats some serious money. I just got my senior portraits done and they were great for around $800 and that includes shots of my brother and sister and me individuals and together.


Prof does some funny math sometimes.
12/30/2007 02:16:19 AM · #66
"The one consistent compliment that I get from members of the opposite sex is not that I have good looking hair, or a fine body, but it's that I have pretty eyes. This photographer didn't seem to agree. He turned my beautiful green eyes to the most absurdly unnatural blue. Other changes include removing a rather charismatic mole on my forehead and softening my face to insane levels."

What kid is going to say that? He needs to be slapped! Just examine the language used and how its written. I thought photographers were more observant.
12/30/2007 02:42:56 AM · #67
Originally posted by superdave:


What kid is going to say that? He needs to be slapped! Just examine the language used and how its written. I thought photographers were more observant.


Kids used to talk like that all the time before text-messaging became rampant. ;) Give 'em a little credit.
12/30/2007 03:30:11 AM · #68
hang on..did that price just go down? first it said $700,=

now it says:
Some people (like my mother) will look at the picture below and think it's great and happily fork over about $400 for it.

Message edited by author 2007-12-30 03:30:34.
12/30/2007 03:39:01 AM · #69
[thumb]626859[/thumb]

this one is NOT better than the shot of the pro. he looks dorky, it's under lit. his expression is like "Uh what was that?" I'm surprised he's put the camera on a tripod and not holding it himself (you know, the stretched arms shots)

so the pro changed his eye color, probably happened whilst throwing an action over it or something (he should have noticed though)but it's way better than the snapshot he took of himself. skin smoothening....I don't use it with men, but women seem to prefer a little touching up.
12/30/2007 03:57:54 AM · #70
Originally posted by Puckzzz:

but women seem to prefer a little touching up.


EXACTLY!! Would you mind coming to court with me next week and explaining that to the judge, there was something of a, errrrr, misunderstanding the other week.
12/30/2007 10:55:50 AM · #71
Originally posted by superdave:

What kid is going to say that? He needs to be slapped!

A smart one? One with balls? And what's with the suggestion of violence?
12/30/2007 11:09:58 AM · #72
I'm a little amazed that we actually have folks suggesting the whole thing must be fake on the basis that the kid is too articulate, that "real" kids that age don't talk like that. That's really depressing. I mean most of 'em don't, for sure, but then most of 'em never DID. Give me a break!

From a KID'S perspective, think how this sounds. Here's a whole bunch of "grownups" putting him down for being too smart, so it must be fake? Jaysus wept...

R.
12/30/2007 11:12:10 AM · #73
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I'm a little amazed that we actually have folks suggesting the whole thing must be fake on the basis that the kid is too articulate, that "real" kids that age don't talk like that. That's really depressing. I mean most of 'em don't, for sure, but then most of 'em never DID. Give me a break!

From a KID'S perspective, think how this sounds. Here's a whole bunch of "grownups" putting him down for being too smart, so it must be fake? Jaysus wept...

Amen to that.
12/30/2007 11:17:33 AM · #74
Originally posted by _eug:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I'm a little amazed that we actually have folks suggesting the whole thing must be fake on the basis that the kid is too articulate, that "real" kids that age don't talk like that. That's really depressing. I mean most of 'em don't, for sure, but then most of 'em never DID. Give me a break!

From a KID'S perspective, think how this sounds. Here's a whole bunch of "grownups" putting him down for being too smart, so it must be fake? Jaysus wept...

Amen to that.


Ditto...and some posters don't seem to realize he's actually responded himself within this thread, too much reading for them perhaps...
12/30/2007 11:20:19 AM · #75
Originally posted by RKT:

Ditto...and some posters don't seem to realize he's actually responded himself within this thread, too much reading for them perhaps...


Yup... And with great good humor and awesome forbearance, I might add. Shouldn't we be ENCOURAGING Mike to be a member of our community? After all, he took it upon himself to have an *opinion* about photography and to *learn* more about it...

R.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 06:08:39 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/23/2017 06:08:39 PM EST.