DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Lighting Set
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 11 of 11, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/14/2006 08:56:03 PM · #1
I've finally pinched enough pennys to buy a lighting set!!! Yay for me, however, I only have a budget of 300 to 500. Not much I know but it's hard to scrape on a cashier job. If you have any suggestions on what is good please help. Also what is the difference of a constant on and a shutter release lighting set. I know the obvious differences I want to know what people prefer and for beginners what is best.

Message edited by author 2006-11-14 20:56:43.
11/14/2006 09:05:42 PM · #2
Not to be rude, Angel, but there is a LOT of info about studio lighting and brand comparisons in the forums already. Using the search feature at the bottom of the forum page, type: Studio Lighting. Huge amounts of invaluable info there.
11/14/2006 09:21:25 PM · #3
congrats on saving up so much!
11/14/2006 10:20:52 PM · #4
Originally posted by idnic:

Not to be rude, Angel, but there is a LOT of info about studio lighting and brand comparisons in the forums already. Using the search feature at the bottom of the forum page, type: Studio Lighting. Huge amounts of invaluable info there.


Your not rude. I know of the others, but their burried and it takes time to shuffle through. I don't have that time, so I was taking a shortcut. But, to others I guess it looks lazy. Oh well to each their own.
11/14/2006 10:29:40 PM · #5
I prefer my 3 light flash set up. Its a generic I got off ebay for about 350, came with 3 lights, 2 soft boxes, and an umbrella. Also included back up light bulbs, ir trigger, and a wired trigger.

I know what I want, but its expensive, so I went with this to get me by till I can muster up the money for a bigger "nicer" lighting set.

but that would be my recomendation...
11/14/2006 10:32:06 PM · #6
Originally posted by koriley:

I prefer my 3 light flash set up. Its a generic I got off ebay for about 350, came with 3 lights, 2 soft boxes, and an umbrella. Also included back up light bulbs, ir trigger, and a wired trigger.

I know what I want, but its expensive, so I went with this to get me by till I can muster up the money for a bigger "nicer" lighting set.

but that would be my recomendation...


Thank-you very much for your suggestion
11/14/2006 10:34:03 PM · #7
Originally posted by angelfire:

I've finally pinched enough pennys to buy a lighting set!!! Yay for me, however, I only have a budget of 300 to 500. Not much I know but it's hard to scrape on a cashier job. If you have any suggestions on what is good please help. Also what is the difference of a constant on and a shutter release lighting set. I know the obvious differences I want to know what people prefer and for beginners what is best.


Might not be the way you want to go but...........
The guy is a first class cheap skate.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Check out the lighting boot camp.


11/15/2006 05:32:09 AM · #8
Originally posted by fir3bird:

Originally posted by angelfire:

I've finally pinched enough pennys to buy a lighting set!!! Yay for me, however, I only have a budget of 300 to 500. Not much I know but it's hard to scrape on a cashier job. If you have any suggestions on what is good please help. Also what is the difference of a constant on and a shutter release lighting set. I know the obvious differences I want to know what people prefer and for beginners what is best.


Might not be the way you want to go but...........
The guy is a first class cheap skate.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Check out the lighting boot camp.


Thanks I'll check it out.
11/15/2006 05:43:49 AM · #9
If you look at my latest portfolio additions, they were taken using one Alien Bee AB400 with a medium softbox as the key, a reflector as fill and a second AB400 as background light. You want to get the best lighting equipment you can afford and if you just get one AB400, you can use almost anything as a hair light. One AB400 is $224 but they also offer packages with a lightstand, umbrella, and case.
I have used a continuous light as a hair light by taping a color correction filter to it and it worked great.

I started out buying a continuous lighting setup -- I didn't even know what a strobe was at that time. Now my original equipment hasn't been used for at least two years. I recommend strobes, the learning curve is greater but you'll be happier in the end, I believe.
11/17/2006 04:13:58 PM · #10
Originally posted by joanns:

If you look at my latest portfolio additions, they were taken using one Alien Bee AB400 with a medium softbox as the key, a reflector as fill and a second AB400 as background light. You want to get the best lighting equipment you can afford and if you just get one AB400, you can use almost anything as a hair light. One AB400 is $224 but they also offer packages with a lightstand, umbrella, and case.
I have used a continuous light as a hair light by taping a color correction filter to it and it worked great.

I started out buying a continuous lighting setup -- I didn't even know what a strobe was at that time. Now my original equipment hasn't been used for at least two years. I recommend strobes, the learning curve is greater but you'll be happier in the end, I believe.


Thank-you so much for this. I was wanting someones opinion on stobes too and yours helped a lot.
11/18/2006 04:17:39 PM · #11


Might not be the way you want to go but...........
The guy is a first class cheap skate.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Check out the lighting boot camp. [/quote]

Cool site. I assume it is work safe?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/21/2017 11:59:01 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/21/2017 11:59:01 PM EDT.