DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Individual Photograph Discussion >> My tintype selfie attempt.
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/09/2017 12:47:40 AM · #1
I have always loved the look of wet plate collodian so I looked up different ways to emulate that look using post processing. Here is my first attempt, it's a selfie so try to ignore the hideous subject. Would love ideas and critiques.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1207965.jpg
11/09/2017 10:54:37 AM · #2
Oh goodness! I think I saw this poster up in the post office!!!

Nicely done. Truly intense eyes
11/09/2017 11:06:19 AM · #3
Definitely on the Most Wanted list. Intense, I feel the sweat.
11/09/2017 11:12:46 AM · #4
LoL

I would have made a good outlaw. I was born 100 years too late.
11/10/2017 07:59:25 AM · #5
I have a collection of tintypes and yes, your processing is pretty good for the era...but the eyes were rarely ever as sharp as yours are, simply because they had to try and hold still for so long for the exposure. So to see one with perfectly sharp eyes is pretty rare!
11/10/2017 09:45:54 AM · #6
Can we make this a challenge? Looks like fun.
11/10/2017 10:32:06 AM · #7
Originally posted by snaffles:

I have a collection of tintypes and yes, your processing is pretty good for the era...but the eyes were rarely ever as sharp as yours are, simply because they had to try and hold still for so long for the exposure. So to see one with perfectly sharp eyes is pretty rare!


Thanks for the advice. I love the wet plate look.
11/10/2017 10:33:18 AM · #8
Originally posted by mbrutus2009:

Can we make this a challenge? Looks like fun.


It would be a cool challenge. There's a few different tutorials on YouTube that I used to try to emulate the look.
11/10/2017 11:59:05 AM · #9
Originally posted by chazoe:

There's a few different tutorials on YouTube that I used to try to emulate the look.

Can you post links to them here?
11/10/2017 12:09:35 PM · #10
It's a pity 31.gif briantammy isn't here - he shoots the real deal and is a master at it.
11/10/2017 03:47:41 PM · #11
Originally posted by tanguera:

It's a pity 31.gif briantammy isn't here - he shoots the real deal and is a master at it.


Wow, just saw some of his stuff and you're not kidding! Lovely work. I would try to post some of my tintypes but they're tiny - smaller in size than a standard playing card - but the detail you can see in them with the aid of a jeweller's loupe is fascinating :-)
11/11/2017 12:50:28 PM · #12
Originally posted by chazoe:

I have always loved the look of wet plate collodian so I looked up different ways to emulate that look using post processing. Here is my first attempt, it's a selfie so try to ignore the hideous subject. Would love ideas and critiques.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1207965.jpg


Nice. Can you overlay a texture that will make the image look timeworn? You know, surface scratches, stains, etc?
11/11/2017 02:01:33 PM · #13
Originally posted by rgrenaderphoto:

Originally posted by chazoe:

I have always loved the look of wet plate collodian so I looked up different ways to emulate that look using post processing. Here is my first attempt, it's a selfie so try to ignore the hideous subject. Would love ideas and critiques.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1207965.jpg


Nice. Can you overlay a texture that will make the image look timeworn? You know, surface scratches, stains, etc?


NIK has a bunch of filters that emulate dust, scratches etc nicely.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/17/2017 08:03:56 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/17/2017 08:03:56 PM EST.