DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Standard editing
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/07/2016 11:41:43 AM · #1
Hi I haven't entered any competitions for a while and have found that the rules have changed since I was last here.
Under 'standard editing', can I rotate, crop, alter levels and / or sharpen an image.
I take it I can resize?
I would be pleased if someone could help me out as I'm finding it a bit confusing.

08/07/2016 12:10:43 PM · #2
Hey, welcome back!

The rule sets are basically the same:
Minimal = Minimal
Advanced = Standard
Expert = Extended

There is also a new set called "Common", which means that anything in there applies to ALL rule sets.

In the process of renaming the rule sets, we also sought to simplify them, as well as eliminate all the gray areas.

So yes, you can rotate, crop, sharpen, etc. in Standard as you could in Advanced.
08/07/2016 12:11:34 PM · #3
You bet you can.

You can now add texture overlays too, as well as more aggressive cloning.
08/07/2016 12:24:34 PM · #4
Thanks
I'll get practising

05/29/2017 05:03:17 AM · #5
I've been absent for a while and maybe mis-reading the definition for Standard but I could not find reference to being able to use any 'advanced' editing effects (e.g. levels, gradients, tone curves, plugins etc.)
I just submitted to a challenge where I felt that all I could do in Standard was JPG in camera cropped...
05/29/2017 05:33:53 PM · #6
Hmmm... Chris seems to have a good point. While, I have understood that selective editing tools of all types (radial filters, gradients, selection brush adjustments, masks for sharpening, etc.) are allowable in Standard Editing (as long as you are editing the original pixels), the language of the rules doesn't seem to say that anywhere.

As a matter of fact, if I put myself in the shoes of one reading the rules for the first time, I might conclude that the language from the Extended rules, allowing use of "any feature of image processing software to manipulate/enhance the images in your submission" might be referring to selective tonal or color adjustments. Am I missing something, or have I been misinterpreting what's allowable in "Standard"?

,
Originally posted by Pixelstate:

I've been absent for a while and maybe mis-reading the definition for Standard but I could not find reference to being able to use any 'advanced' editing effects (e.g. levels, gradients, tone curves, plugins etc.)
I just submitted to a challenge where I felt that all I could do in Standard was JPG in camera cropped...
05/29/2017 11:39:20 PM · #7
Originally posted by wbanning:

Hmmm... Chris seems to have a good point. While, I have understood that selective editing tools of all types (radial filters, gradients, selection brush adjustments, masks for sharpening, etc.) are allowable in Standard Editing (as long as you are editing the original pixels), the language of the rules doesn't seem to say that anywhere.

As a matter of fact, if I put myself in the shoes of one reading the rules for the first time, I might conclude that the language from the Extended rules, allowing use of "any feature of image processing software to manipulate/enhance the images in your submission" might be referring to selective tonal or color adjustments. Am I missing something, or have I been misinterpreting what's allowable in "Standard"?

,
Originally posted by Pixelstate:

I've been absent for a while and maybe mis-reading the definition for Standard but I could not find reference to being able to use any 'advanced' editing effects (e.g. levels, gradients, tone curves, plugins etc.)
I just submitted to a challenge where I felt that all I could do in Standard was JPG in camera cropped...

We may have a little work to do on that :-(
05/31/2017 04:46:09 PM · #8
I felt both my entries this week (especially night sky III) would have benefited from some post-processing, levels, curves, dehaze etc.) but having read the rules (more than once) I am certainly under the impression that this would result in DQ.
If I remember correctly some level of post-processing beyond simple crop, rotate and spot removal was permitted under standard submissions..in previous years...
05/31/2017 04:58:25 PM · #9
Originally posted by Pixelstate:

I felt both my entries this week (especially night sky III) would have benefited from some post-processing, levels, curves, dehaze etc.) but having read the rules (more than once) I am certainly under the impression that this would result in DQ.
If I remember correctly some level of post-processing beyond simple crop, rotate and spot removal was permitted under standard submissions..in previous years...

All that stuff is normal and is permitted. The things that we have marked "you may" are things that one might not have known were permitted. We need to make this clear, I agree. Just for now, bear in mind that the new "Standard Editing" allows everything advanced editing ever did, and a little more.
07/31/2017 07:07:42 PM · #10
Please correct the standard editing description as I read it the same way the OP did. And like the OP haven't posted here in a while and was going to do so but felt discouraged by the current Standard Editing description.
09/07/2017 05:38:51 AM · #11
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Pixelstate:

I felt both my entries this week (especially night sky III) would have benefited from some post-processing, levels, curves, dehaze etc.) but having read the rules (more than once) I am certainly under the impression that this would result in DQ.
If I remember correctly some level of post-processing beyond simple crop, rotate and spot removal was permitted under standard submissions..in previous years...

All that stuff is normal and is permitted. The things that we have marked "you may" are things that one might not have known were permitted. We need to make this clear, I agree. Just for now, bear in mind that the new "Standard Editing" allows everything advanced editing ever did, and a little more.


Then what does Extended editing now offer that cannot already be done in Standard editing?

Message edited by author 2017-09-07 05:39:42.
09/07/2017 09:19:56 AM · #12
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Then what does Extended editing now offer that cannot already be done in Standard editing?

The big thing is you can composite from multiple images, and you can flat-out create stuff in photoshop.
09/07/2017 09:36:11 AM · #13
I just recently came back as well after not participating since 2013. I was just as confused because I was from the time of basic and advanced editing. So I did send a querie to the site council about something I wanted to do a few days ago, and they came back with an answer a few hours later. So write them a querie if you are stuck on whether you can do something under the specific rules.

I do think there can be some clarification however in the current information on the rules. Even if they just do an indepth file to refer to that we can read. Yes it would take some time to create, but I think it might help, and it would be easy to add or delete aspects of those files if the council decides to reign in what can be done in standard Editing.
09/07/2017 01:36:01 PM · #14
Thanks for the feedback and input Bear and Junie. Yeah I have an entry I want to enter under the standard editing rules and I have used Topaz clear on it and stuff like overlay and changing hues and colors but in essence it is the same original photo I took without any added things that weren't there but in appearance it now looks more like a colorful painting. So would that still be ok under the standard ruleset then?

Message edited by author 2017-09-07 13:36:47.
09/07/2017 01:41:13 PM · #15
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Thanks for the feedback and input Bear and Junie. Yeah I have an entry I want to enter under the standard editing rules and I have used Topaz clear on it and stuff like overlay and changing hues and colors but in essence it is the same original photo I took without any added things that weren't there but in appearance it now looks more like a colorful painting. So would that still be ok under the standard ruleset then?

What do you mean by "overlay"? Everything else (shifting colors, filters, etc.) sounds fine.
09/07/2017 01:46:20 PM · #16
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by ThingFish:

Thanks for the feedback and input Bear and Junie. Yeah I have an entry I want to enter under the standard editing rules and I have used Topaz clear on it and stuff like overlay and changing hues and colors but in essence it is the same original photo I took without any added things that weren't there but in appearance it now looks more like a colorful painting. So would that still be ok under the standard ruleset then?

What do you mean by "overlay"? Everything else (shifting colors, filters, etc.) sounds fine.


Hi General.....Overlay is a feature I have in my processing program which is LightZone. It is basicly something which deepens and intensifies colors.
Check out Lightzone which is open source and freeware and constantly being upgraded. It was originally a program which u had to pay for but the original developer Fabio Riccardi left it as he was offered a job by Apple to work on iPhoto and so the program was just left in limbo until enthusiastic users of the program decided they could not live without it and contacted the original developer and got his permission to carry on with it as a open source development. It's a really beautiful program which does everything mostly that Photoshop and Gimp can do but in a very simple and easy way and has fantastic features that even Photoshop and Gimp don't have. Do check it out. Versions for Windows, Mac and Linux are available. I have been using it for years even when it was still a paid for program. I love it.

http://www.lightzoneproject.org

Message edited by author 2017-09-07 14:39:37.
09/07/2017 02:44:05 PM · #17
That sounds fine. Thanks for the link -- I'll check it out.

If you have an "is this editing legal" question the most definitive way to get an opinion is to submit a ticket with before/after images attached (you can combine them into one image -- DPC-entry size is fine) and your editing steps/questions. If you can do that at least a couple of days before the deadline you will almost certainly get a response, but doing it on the last day is pretty chancy ...
09/08/2017 04:38:31 AM · #18
Originally posted by GeneralE:

That sounds fine. Thanks for the link -- I'll check it out.

If you have an "is this editing legal" question the most definitive way to get an opinion is to submit a ticket with before/after images attached (you can combine them into one image -- DPC-entry size is fine) and your editing steps/questions. If you can do that at least a couple of days before the deadline you will almost certainly get a response, but doing it on the last day is pretty chancy ...


Thanks general. Going by what you described I think I should be ok though. I was mostly worried about using the Topaz Clean filter which creates that wavy like effect.
09/08/2017 06:16:31 AM · #19
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Pixelstate:

I felt both my entries this week (especially night sky III) would have benefited from some post-processing, levels, curves, dehaze etc.) but having read the rules (more than once) I am certainly under the impression that this would result in DQ.
If I remember correctly some level of post-processing beyond simple crop, rotate and spot removal was permitted under standard submissions..in previous years...

All that stuff is normal and is permitted. The things that we have marked "you may" are things that one might not have known were permitted. We need to make this clear, I agree. Just for now, bear in mind that the new "Standard Editing" allows everything advanced editing ever did, and a little more.


Bear concerning your statement that the new standard editing allows everything advanced editing ever did and a little more what about this: In advanced editing it says that you may not use distortions to create new effects or radically alter objects. Is that also a no no under the new Standard Editing ruleset? Because it does not say that anywhere in the new standard ruleset.
I am referring to using Topaz Clean on an image which creates painterly, wavy, liquid like distortions.

Message edited by author 2017-09-08 06:17:04.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/24/2017 01:11:50 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2017 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/24/2017 01:11:50 PM EDT.